Sierra Harvest is a non-profit organization dedicated to educating, inspiring, and connecting western Nevada County’s families to fresh, local, seasonal foods. We accomplish this by offering farm to school programming, supporting farm fresh school meals, mentoring aspiring farmers and gardeners, celebrating our local food community and advocating for just, sustainable and organic food systems. Watch how we are changing people’s lives:
Sierra Harvest envisions a thriving local food economy where residents of all ages have access to nutritious, local, organic seasonal food through strong connections among farmers, schools, and the community. We envision a network of financially viable farms providing good food for the community, where health and wellness is the norm and people are engaged in growing, harvesting, preparing, and sharing fresh food.
Why is this relevant in our county?
- 1 in 3 kids in Nevada County are overweight, and its expected that 50% will be obese in the next 15 years.
- Research shows that kids perform better at school when they are not hungry, and when they are eating a healthy diet that includes fresh fruits, vegetables, and grains.
- The average farmers in Nevada County is 58 years old, and less than 2% have a succession plan.
- 13,000 families in our county struggle to put food on the table
- If we increase our local food production from 2% to 25%, that adds an additional $67 million dollars to our local economy every year.