Thanks to everyone who helped to make the School Food Summit a success! Please contact us if you would like to participate in our ongoing efforts to improve school food in Nevada County.
If you missed the summit you can still watch the (4-minute) School Food Summit video (below)!
“We have the power to turn that daily school lunch from an after-thought into a joyous education, a way of caring for our health, our environment, and our community.” (Alice Waters, The Edible School Yard)
Saturday, October 8, 2011
Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital
Building 3, Conference Room 110
Why a Food Summit?
A Nevada County School Food Summit will be an engaging day of dialogue about food culture and policy and how it relates to getting back to cooking from scratch in our schools. The summit is an opportunity for the school and broader community to hear from experts about the importance of school food, its current status in Nevada County, and promising strategies for improvement.
The Food Summit will include speakers, a panel discussion, lunch, and workshops to build commitment to launch a Nevada County Cooks! pilot program in 2012/13. For more information or questions contact us.
You must register by Sept. 22nd to have a guaranteed seat at the summit.
$10 registration fee includes lunch, coffee, tea, and healthy snacks
- 9:30am Coffee and registration check in
- 10:00-11:00am Keynote Speakers
- 11:15am-12:15pm Expert Panel Discussion
- 12:15-1:00pm Lunch
- 1:10-2:10pm Workshops
- 2:20pm-3:00pm Closing general session
- Michael Funk, Founder (Mountain People’s Warehouse) and Board Chair (UNFI)
- Kathleen de Chadènedes, Director (s’Cool Food Initiative, Orfalea Fund in Santa Barbara County)
- Bridgette Brick-Wells, Executive Director & Founder (Healthy Lunch & Lifestyle Project, in Redding)
- Suzanne Grass, SNS, Director (GVSD Child Nutrition Services), Executive Director (Nevada County Schools Central Kitchen)
- Michelle Malm, Food Services Director (Kelseyville Unified School District in Lake County)
- Colleen Rentsch, Farmer (Seely Orchards and Farm Stand in Lake County)
- Carlos Trujillo, Executive Chef (Farm to Table Catering/Grass Valley Group)