Agricultural Skills Course 6: Low-Till, Intensive Farming
Class 6: Low-Till, Intensive Farming with Leo Chapman, Chapman Family Farm
See a small, diversified farm in action. Leo will introduce us to a farm system that integrates animals into a low-till fruit and vegetable system that includes Hugelkulter, swales, and perennials. If it can be grown in Nevada County, Leo has grown it! Leo co-founded the Living Lands Agrarian Network and as a true local agricultural hero, has much wisdom to offer.
Ag Skills provides a season of hands-on learning for beginning farmers. From building soil to harvesting and sales, each class focuses on tangible skills necessary for farming success in the foothills. Peer-to-peer classes are taught on-farm, by farmers and each includes a farm tour. Ag Skills courses are geared towards commercial farmers and are a great way to network within the farming community and hone your farming skillset. Download the 2021 Ag Skills, Course Calendar for details.
Classes are Tuesdays 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. from June 29th to September 28th.
$22 per class with a discount when you register for 7 or more classes. Join us for any or all of this year’s courses:
- Class 1: June 29th – Starting a Farm with Peter Hidalgo, Son of Something Farm
- Class 2: July 6th – Identifying Pests, Beneficial Insects & Management Options with Cindy Fake, UCCE Horticulture & Small Farms Advisor @ Food Love Farm
- Class 3: July 13th – Understanding & Improving Foothill Soils with Cindy Fake, UCCE Horticulture & Small Farms Advisor @ Food Love Farm
- Class 4: July 20th – Crop Planning with Antonio Garza, Feeding Crane Farm
- Class 5: July 27th – Soil & Field Preparation with Jeremy Mineau, Super Tuber Farm
- Class 6: August 3rd – Low-Till, Intensive Farming with Leo Chapman, Chapman Family Farm
- Class 7: August 10th – All About Flowers with Deena Miller, Sweet Roots Farm
- August 17th, No Class
- Class 8: August 24th – In the Field: Planting, Irrigating & Cultivating with Michael & Shanon Whamond, Hillview Farms
- Class 9: WEDNESDAY, September 1st – Harvest, Wash & Pack with Patrick and Diane Bollinger, Foothill Roots Farm
- Class 10: September 7th- Soil Occultation & Season Extension with Bryanna & Steven Eisenhut, Stone’s Throw Farm
- Class 11: September 14th – How to Grow Stuff & Keep It Real with Ken Barrett, Starbright Acres Family Farm
- Class 12: September 21st – Successful CSA’s with Jake Benedict, Mountain Bounty Farm
- Class 13: September 28th – Farm Scale Composting with Marney Blair and Lisa Bjorn, Fulcrum Farm
Here’s what people are saying about Ag Skills:
“A truly fantastic learning experience made all the more impressive considering the obstacles COVID 19 and the fires present to any classroom. Sierra Harvest goes above and beyond to ensure safety; all present are masked-up, classes take place outdoors, all are reminded of the importance of practicing social distancing, N-95 masks were distributed to all given smoky air quality. I’ve signed up for every class I can get my hands on and have been wildly impressed and informed with each. Thank you, Cam and the entire Sierra Harvest team for your brilliant work!”
Note: Current COVID-19 protocols at Ag Skills classes.