Ag Skills provides a season of hands-on learning for beginning farmers. From building soil, best techniques for irrigation, how to increase soil productivity, deal with pests to harvest and packing, each class focuses on tangible skills necessary for farming success in the foothills.
Peer-to-peer classes are taught on-farm, by farmers and each includes a farm tour. Ag Skills courses are geared towards commercial farmers and are a great way to network within the farming community and hone your farming skillset.
Thank you so much to our attendees and farm teachers for an amazing 2023 Ag Skills season!
Stay tuned for 2024’s course offerings, or sign up for our Enews to hear the latest on all upcoming farmer education opportunities.
A sample of our 2023 Classes:
- Season Extension – Natural Trading Co
- Plant Propagation & Greenhouse Management – Starbright Acres Family Farm
- Hiring & Managing Farm Managers and farm employees – Mountain Bounty & Super Tuber
- Farming From an Indigenous Perspective – Calmil Teoyotica
- Berry & Small Orchard Management – Harmony Valley Farm
- The Business of Bouquets – Sweet Roots Farm
- Top 10 Farm Tools – Feeding Crane Farm
- From Farm Produce to Value-Added Products – Sun and Cellar
- Small Farm Engine Maintenance – Dinner Bell Farm
- Introduction to Beekeeping – Golden West Bees
- Orchards – Bierwagen Donner Trail Fruit & Pumpkin Patch Farm
- Growing Farm Scale Microgreens – Father Daughter Farm
- On-Farm Chicken Slaughter – Alana Fowler, The Goat Works
“It was so inspirational to see the local farms in action. As a result of all I’ve learned in this series
I’m going to be planting flowers for beneficial insects and for cutting, testing my soil,
and trying out no-till next season!” 2021 Ag Skills student.
Farm & Ranch Jobs in Nevada County
Looking for a job in agriculture? sign up for our Enews to get announcements about farm and ranch jobs in Nevada County.