Agricultural Skills Course, June – September 2021
Ag Skills provides a season of hands-on learning for beginning farmers. From building soil to harvest and sales, each class focuses on tangible skills necessary for farming success in the foothills. Peer-to-peer classes are taught on-farm, by farmers and each includes a farm tour. Ag Skills courses are geared towards commercial farmers and are a great way to network within the farming community and hone your farming skillset.
Classes are Tuesdays 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. from June 29th to September 21st. $22 per class. $20 per class when you register for 7 or more classes. $18 per class when you join for more than 7 classes! Are you are farmworker? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for farmworker pricing.
Join us for any or all of this year’s courses and download 2021 Ag Skills Course Calendar.
- Class 1: June 29th – Starting a Farm with Son of Something Farm
- Class 2: July 6 – Identifying Pests, Beneficial Insects & Management Options with Cindy Fake, UCCE Horticulture & Small Farms Advisor @ Food Love Farm
- Class 3: July 13th – Understanding & Improving Foothill Soils with Cindy Fake, UCCE Horticulture & Small Farms Advisor @ Food Love Farm
- Class 4: July 20th – Crop Planning with Feeding Crane Farm
- Class 5: July 27th – Soil & Field Preparation with Super Tuber Farm
- Class 6: August 3rd – Low-Till, Intensive Farming with Chapman Family Farm
- Class 7: August 10th – All About Flowers with Sweet Roots Farm
- August 17th – NO CLASS
- Class 8: August 24th – In the Field: Planting, Irrigating & Cultivating with Hillview Farms
- Class 9: WEDNESDAY September 1st- Harvest, Wash & Pack with Foothill Roots Farm
- Class 10: September 7th- Soil Occultation & Season Extension with Stone’s Throw Farm
- Class 11: September 14th – How to Grow Stuff & Keep It Real with Starbright Acres Family Farm
- Class 12: September 21st – Successful CSA’s with Mountain Bounty Farm
- Class 13: September 28th – Farm Scale Composting with Fulcrum Farm
Here’s what people are saying about Ag Skills:
“A truly fantastic learning experience made all the more impressive considering the obstacles COVID 19 and the fires present to any classroom. Sierra Harvest goes above and beyond to ensure safety; all present are masked-up, classes take place outdoors, all are reminded of the importance of practicing social distancing, N-95 masks were distributed to all given smoky air quality. I’ve signed up for every class I can get my hands on and have been wildly impressed and informed with each. Thank you Cam and the entire Sierra Harvest team for your brilliant work!”
Note: COVID-19 protocols at Ag Skills classes include outdoor venues, social distancing, face masks, and hand hygiene to ensure a safe space for class participants and host farms.
Farm & Ranch Jobs in Nevada County
Looking for a job in agriculture? Send an email to email@example.com to get announcements about farm and ranch jobs in Nevada County.
Looking to hire a farmworker for your farm or ranch? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to get a list of interested folks, be listed on our job posting site, and have your post included in our farmer E-news.