- 1 slice whole-wheat or multigrain bread
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ounce Salt and black pepper
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your kitchen gear and ingredients and put them on a clean counter.
- Use the open mouth of the glass to cut a hole out of the center of the slice of bread. Set aside the bread frame and the cutout circle of bread.
- Crack the egg into the bowl gently, being careful not to break the yolk.
- Put the pan on the stove and turn the heat to medium. When the pan is hot (flick some water on—it should dance and evaporate immediately), add the oil, then lay the bread frame into it carefully.
- Gently pour the egg into the hole, and season the egg with a pinch of salt and pepper. (If you like, you can also fry the cutout circle of bread alongside.)
- Cook the bread frame until it has browned underneath and the egg in the hole has started to set, about 2 minutes, then carefully flip the whole thing. Cook the other side until the egg yolk is as firm as you like it—about 30 seconds to a minute longer. (If you’re frying the cutout, flip that too.)
- Eat right away.
Instead of using bread, cook the egg inside a ring of bell pepper made by cutting across the pepper. It will look like a beautiful flower, and give you lots of vitamins too!
Recipe from ChopChopmag.com