Oh buddy- it’s spring time and after a never ending winter it’s finally time to get planting! Yes!! Amanda here, ready to share one of my favorite indulgences- local plant sales. Some ladies like to buy a new pair of shoes- and me? I like to buy plants that I probably don’t need. To each their own. Shoes are nice too.
Below, you can find an artist’s rendering of myself and my husband that sums it up nicely.
Now, some of you may have started your own seeds and some of you may have gotten starts already from Edy- but I’m here to tell you that there are plants out there that you didn’t even know you needed that have been lovingly tended by talented local growers throughout these innumerable rainy, cold days. Then they sell them to you for a few bucks? That’s pretty amazing if you ask me.
So, without further ado, here’s a semi-comprehensive list of upcoming local plant sales where you can indulge yourself and support farmers at the same time.
- Starting April 20th and every day during daylight hours you can get starts anytime directly from the farm store at Starbright Acres Family Farm (12575 Polaris Dr, Grass Valley, CA 95949). They will be selling organic annual veggies and herbs throughout the spring into early summer.
- April 20th: At the last winter Nevada City Farmer’s Market from 9AM-12PM, Sweet Roots Farm will have organic veggies and flowers for sale.
- April 27th: Fresh Starts Organic Farm and Enlightened Earth Organic Herb Farm will be at First Rain Farm (19832 Rector Rd Nevada City) from 9AM-3PM selling veggie, flower, medicinal herbs and more! Bring cash and your own carrying boxes.
- April 27th: The NorthStar Grower’s Market (12075 Auburn Road, Grass Valley) runs from 8AM-12:30PM and Starbright Acres will be selling starts at this fun, family friendly market .
- Saturdays May 4, 11, 18 from 9AM-1PM Sierra Harvest’s educational site the Food Love Farm will be selling organic veggies, herbs and more (EBT can be used too!)
- Fresh Starts Organic Farm will also be selling at the Nevada City Farmer’s Market Saturdays May 4, June 1, 8 and possibly the 15th.
- May 11: The UC Master Gardeners of Nevada County will have their annual sale of veggies, herbs and flowers from 9AM-12PM at the The Demonstration Garden at 1036 W. Main Street, Grass Valley (on the NID Grounds). This is also a great place to get your gardening questions answered!
- May 12th from 9AM-3PM is The Mother’s Day Plant Sale at the Miner’s Foundry It’s basically the royal rumble of plant sales. With tons of plants and so many local farmers, it’s not to be missed!
- Throughout May Sierra Harvest’s Farm to School Program helps provide plant sales at 20+ schools across Western Nevada County. So, if you have a child in school locally- look out for a plant sale at school!
Stores carrying local organic starts include:
- Peaceful Valley Farm Supply
- A to Z Supply
- Briar Patch Co-op
- Wildflower Nursery Garden and Gift (Part of Penn Valley True Value)
Do you have a favorite place you like to get plants locally? Let me know in the comments and I’ll add it to the list.
Happy spring, and good luck caring for all those plants! (If you get too many, you know who you can give them to.)